Uruguayo Campeonato en ingles!

1matthewburgess
Llegando al Parque

Uruguayo Campeonato en ingles!

Mensajepor 1matthewburgess » Lun Jul 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Buenas tardes friends!

Sorry for posting in English as I don't speak Spanish, I live in Swansea, Wales.

I am posting here because I am interested in the Uruguayan Primera - it is a league almost unheard of here, but I became fascinated by when it when I decided to research football in Uruguay as it is a country of similar size to Wales and I am very involved with the semi-professional Welsh Premier League.

Please forgive me, but I do not support Nacional, I appreciate and respect the Nacional's great history and reputation but I like the smaller teams in the league. Montevideo seems an incredible city to watch football with so many clubs, you can watch several games in just one weekend!! I looked on Google Maps and saw that in Prado, there are three teams all very close - Bella Vista, Wanderers and River Plate - my team is now River Plate! I do understand it is not the Argentine one! :D

I am just wondering if it is ok to discuss the Campeonato Uruguayo here with anyone who speaks English - this is one of the few forums which came up on Google when I searched.

I am also happy to answer any questions you might have on Welsh football!

Good luck in the Libertadores against Botafogo! :libertadores: :mg:

Matt
RODELPARQUE
Moderador

Re: Uruguayo Campeonato en ingles!

Mensajepor RODELPARQUE » Lun Jul 24, 2017 3:41 pm

WELCOME MATT

HOPE YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE AND ENJOY HERE

THE ONLY TEAM THAT IS ORIGINAL FROM "PRADO" IS WANDERERS, RIVER PLATE WAS FROM "CIUDAD VIEJA" (THAT'S WHY THEY ARE CALLED "DARSENEROS") AND BELLA VISTA IS FROM "BELLA VISTA" NEXT TO PRADO

KEEP IN CONTACT

:WERTHER:
ImagenImagen
ruyeri23
Cascarilla Morales

Mensajepor ruyeri23 » Lun Jul 24, 2017 3:44 pm

1matthewburgess escribió:Buenas tardes friends!

Sorry for posting in English as I don't speak Spanish, I live in Swansea, Wales.

I am posting here because I am interested in the Uruguayan Primera - it is a league almost unheard of here, but I became fascinated by when it when I decided to research football in Uruguay as it is a country of similar size to Wales and I am very involved with the semi-professional Welsh Premier League.

Please forgive me, but I do not support Nacional, I appreciate and respect the Nacional's great history and reputation but I like the smaller teams in the league. Montevideo seems an incredible city to watch football with so many clubs, you can watch several games in just one weekend!! I looked on Google Maps and saw that in Prado, there are three teams all very close - Bella Vista, Wanderers and River Plate - my team is now River Plate! I do understand it is not the Argentine one! :D

I am just wondering if it is ok to discuss the Campeonato Uruguayo here with anyone who speaks English - this is one of the few forums which came up on Google when I searched.

I am also happy to answer any questions you might have on Welsh football!

Good luck in the Libertadores against Botafogo! :libertadores: :mg:

Matt

Hello Matt, I would be glad to answer your questions regardings the uruguayan championship (as long as I have available time :D).
Aserrin
Alguien tiene que ser el admin

Mensajepor Aserrin » Lun Jul 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Welcome lad

viewtopic.php?f=134&t=39630

That's the 'normal' uruguayan championship thread, if you want to have a go with google translate be my guest, also if you're interested in getting some posts translated for (or from) you just ask. Best regards
Imagen
Mega
Álvaro Recoba

Mensajepor Mega » Lun Jul 24, 2017 4:21 pm

Welcome Matt, If I were you I would choose a better team than River :yawinkle: :nacional:
Anyway, if you like teams from Prado choose Wanderers at least they will play international football next year, unlike River which are close to relegation.
juan1899bolso
Carlos Cespedes

Mensajepor juan1899bolso » Lun Jul 24, 2017 4:31 pm

welcome matt
we're the biggest team in uruguay
the only thing I know from welsh football is that swansea and cardiff play in the english premier league, so as you said, welsh football is also unheard in here

feel free to ask
Socio nº 76227
manu_tricolor
Roberto Porta

Mensajepor manu_tricolor » Lun Jul 24, 2017 4:37 pm

bienvendio very dificult
Imagen
1matthewburgess
Llegando al Parque

Mensajepor 1matthewburgess » Lun Jul 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks for the nice replies.

I live in the same complex where the Swansea City stadium was built so it's very close to me.

Because Nacional are so popular, do lots of people from different 'barrios' also support another small team?

Do people travel to different matches on the same weekend? I would! Ha

Also what are the attendaces like there? Here, Swansea and Cardiff play in the English league but Wales also had it's own team but only 200-300 people watch the teams and the stadiums are small like some of the ones you have there. TNS have won the Welsh Premier League for the last 6 years but they are not good enough to qualify for Champions League and lose in qualifying rounds.
juan1899bolso
Carlos Cespedes

Mensajepor juan1899bolso » Lun Jul 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Because Nacional are so popular, do lots of people from different 'barrios' also support another small team?

I don't think so, at least in general is not so frequent to support Nacional and another smaller team
Maybe in "interior" (outside montevideo) is more frequent to support Nacional or Penarol and also support a local team

About attendance, almost 95% of the population is divided into two teams (in a three-million country) so it's easy to see that games between small teams are not so attended (even less than 100-150)
Socio nº 76227
Vasco Bolso
Ruben Sosa

Mensajepor Vasco Bolso » Lun Jul 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Welcome to the best forum, from the best team of Uruguay!!
Imagen
Morritto_14
Óscar Javier Morales
Contactar:

Mensajepor Morritto_14 » Lun Jul 24, 2017 9:22 pm

:peralta: Hello my name is coco. I love nacional. Cap is my woman.
LLEVO EN LA GARGANTA EL CORAZON QUE VA CON VOS Y POR MIS VENAS CORRE SANGRE TRICOLOR IGUAL QUE ABDON♪♪
eltrico94
Santiago Ostolaza
Contactar:

Mensajepor eltrico94 » Lun Jul 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Welcome Matt.

One thing: If you want to be accepted in this forum you have to create a thread titled "Bellezas Galesas" whit welsh beautiful woman photos. Dont' forgett to put some fat womans and transgender womans photos because many users like that.
Imagen
elbocha_bolso
Santiago Ostolaza

Mensajepor elbocha_bolso » Lun Jul 24, 2017 11:34 pm

As eltrico94 said, why don´t you share a pair of pictures of Wale´s girls in this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=19690&start=760

I am not responsible if you see a relative there :elmama:
Imagen
ruyeri23
Cascarilla Morales

Mensajepor ruyeri23 » Mar Jul 25, 2017 11:15 am

1matthewburgess escribió:Because Nacional are so popular, do lots of people from different 'barrios' also support another small team?

No, most people only support Nacional or Penarol. As another user mentioned, 95% of population in Uruguay support Nacional or Penarol. The rest of the teams have few supporters. Cerro and Rampla are the ones with most supporters after Nacional and Penarol.

1matthewburgess escribió:Do people travel to different matches on the same weekend? I would! Ha

No, as most people only support one team (Nacional or Penarol mostly). Perhaps in the "interior" (outside Montevideo) people also support a local team but this teams play in local regional tournaments which are not related to the "Uruguayan Championship"

1matthewburgess escribió:Also what are the attendaces like there? Here, Swansea and Cardiff play in the English league but Wales also had it's own team but only 200-300 people watch the teams and the stadiums are small like some of the ones you have there. TNS have won the Welsh Premier League for the last 6 years but they are not good enough to qualify for Champions League and lose in qualifying rounds.

The attendance in a match between Nacional and Penarol is aproximatelly 50.000.

The attendance in a match where Nacional or Penarol play against a small team (like River por example) is aproximatelly 10.000 or 15.000.

The attendance in a match between two small teams (Danubio vs River por example) is about 200-300.

"El contrato es de por vida"

Juan Ramón Carrasco
Luchobolso
Victor Esparrago
Contactar:

Mensajepor Luchobolso » Mar Jul 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Welcome matt! If u want to see and feel what is about the real uruguayan football i would recommend you watch a match between basanez vs platense , that's a bloody game mate!.
Imagen
1matthewburgess
Llegando al Parque

Mensajepor 1matthewburgess » Mar Jul 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Thank you again for the replies.

How do the smaller clubs manage to pay professional players with such small attendances? In the Welsh league here, the players have normal jobs and train in the evenings. I'm guessing there's lots of debt at these clubs.

Also what is the atmosphere like between fans?

I know in the big classico there'll be trouble but is there violence and barra bravas even with the small clubs?

I'm not interested in violence at football, I prefer to watch game and have a beer with the other team's fans after the game. :)
FabianZ
Hector Scarone

Mensajepor FabianZ » Mar Jul 25, 2017 5:07 pm

1matthewburgess escribió:Thank you again for the replies.

How do the smaller clubs manage to pay professional players with such small attendances? In the Welsh league here, the players have normal jobs and train in the evenings. I'm guessing there's lots of debt at these clubs.

I know in the big classico there'll be trouble but is there violence and barra bravas even with the small clubs?

I'm not interested in violence at football, I prefer to watch game and have a beer with the other team's fans after the game. :)

What's up Matt? Welcome on board!
The minimum wage for a professional soccer player is about 1000 euros per month and teams get a subsidy from the TV, however there is a large number of teams so whatever little amount to be distributed is divided into a larger pool, making everyone's share smaller than it should. What's behind this is that there is a businessman that has the monopoly of Uruguayan soccer and doesn't really pay their fair share to teams so most -if not all- of the teams here operate at a loss and need to sell players to survive. Nacional has an operating deficit of around 4 million dollars a year so if we don't sell for that amount we start getting in financial trouble. Our liabilities as today exceed 16m.

The small teams usually have a few troublemakers as well, so even though most games of the year should be rather safe, in reality even a team with 200 spectators can end up throwing a few rocks to the opposing fans. Now the government is installing cameras in all stadiums to 'keep the violent away', so we'll have to see how that plays out. But regarding having beer with the opposing team, that's not something that really happens unfortunately. We -as a society- are not mature enough for that. Bare in mind that a soccer team is something that people feel really passionate about and sometimes it's the only joy of their lives.
Si jugaras en el cielo moriría por verte.
kimur
Anibal Paz

Mensajepor kimur » Lun Jul 31, 2017 7:35 pm

1matthewburgess escribió:Thank you again for the replies.

Just to clarify what ruyeri said, I wouldn't say that any given match bewteen two small clubs would have only 300 attendants, BUT some might. There are many layers regarding clubs. As they said, Nacional and penarol have by far the largest fanbases. This means that when they play Libertadores matches they can fill the Centenario Stadium, that's maybe 50.000 people, by themselves. Even in some domestic matches which are almost "finals" (I remember one against [our] Liverpool F.C. where Nacional won a short tournament, that there were perhaps over 40.000 people).
As they said, each of the grandes alone when playing home matches should bring from 10 to 20-25 thousand people. This depends on ticket prices and other factors. A couple of championships ago Nacional's socios (members? associates?) had free entrance to home matches, and we would be over 20.000 every game. This last couple of championships the Board decided to charge associates in some stands and therefore the attendance dropped quite dramatically. I don't really know the details about Penarol, but for one, their new stadium is a little far from Montevideo's centre, so that's prevented them from having a regular attendance.

Then there's the layers of smaller clubs. One way of realizing this is by looking at how many people they've brought to our stadium. Nacional usually gives visitors 600 tickets or so, and it's very few clubs that have bought all 600 or come close to that. As they said, Cerro and Rampla might have a few thousand people at home games, I would say Danubio should be third, then probably Wanderers, Defensor, and the rest. Then there's a bunch of clubs that practically have no fanbase, clubs like El Tanque Sisley, Rentistas, and others. Then there's the case of relatively popular clubs that have been relegated to lower divisions, for example Villa Teresa, which is as small as you can think, it lived all its life in third division, finally got to the 2nd and a couple of years ago it managed to get to 1st division, just for one season, and it was one of the few clubs that filled our visitors sector. Another case is Huracán Buceo, which was very popular a few decades ago, it had like disappeared for I guess financial issues, but a couple of years ago it re-appeared and is now playing again in the lowest division, and still has a fanbase that probably outnumbers half the 1st division clubs easily.

The problem with violence is not exclusive of the two big teams. Both Nacional and Penarol's people have had violent clashes with people of smaller clubs (and with the police, of course). Especially clubs like Cerro and Danubio. But if you look away from the bigger clubs there are other rivalries between neighbouring clubs like Racing and Fénix, for example, which might get a little heated even though they don't have too many fans. The extreme case is that one of the first "football deaths" of the last couple of decades was after a game between Villa Teresa and Basañez, both very small clubs.
Imagen Imagen

Socio 99.674
1matthewburgess
Llegando al Parque

Mensajepor 1matthewburgess » Mar Ago 01, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for explaining all that so clearly.

It's a shame there is violence even at the smaller clubs because with there being so many clubs in close proximity, it is possible for fans who just love football to watch a couple of games every weekend.

By the way, I spoke to River Plate online and I am going to write an English language page about them for their new website! Ha

I'm looking forward to the games starting again.

Are there any other curious habits about Uruguayan clubs or fans? I enjoy reading your replies.
Mega
Álvaro Recoba

Mensajepor Mega » Mar Ago 01, 2017 10:43 am

You can watch a game on Saturday and another on Sunday if you want but I don't think many people do that. Most fans here only care about their own team.

Volver a “Campeonato Uruguayo”